Saturday, August 28, 2010

Geometry Reintrepreted

Yesterday I visited an art gallery in Dallas and my eye was immediately drawn to the works of this one particular artist, Steven Alexander. My mission was clear- I need to acquire one of his pieces, stat.

After researching his work portfolio on his studio website (SA STUDIO), I began picturing all of the bald wall space in our house being completely drenched in his colorful works. (*However, my husband, Kacey,  wouldn't go for it...deer mounts trump contemporary art in his book!)....Regardless, I have a running list of my favorites.

Steven's use of saturated color in simple geometric shapes summarizes his particular style; understated modernism. He frequently plays with the size of his canvases and scale of the colors, which transforms how one experiences the overall painting.

Here's what's on my list:

Vibrolux II, 2009, 32 x 288 inches, acrylic on 7 canvases
Perfect for a long hallway or office corridor

Shift 4, 2008, 12 x 144 inches, acrylic on 12 canvases (private collection)
What if you mount it vertically instead of horizontally?

True Love Never Die, 2009, 72 x 54 inches, acrylic on canvas (private collection)
Perfect for MY private collection!

What It Is, 2010, 48 x 36 inches, acrylic on linen


Domino, 2009, 26 x 20 inches, acrylic on linen


Calypso 14, 2009, 12 x 12 inches, acrylic on canvas

All images from Steven Alexander Website
Cheers to Mr. Alexander!
xoxo-LC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!