Thursday, February 25, 2010

Project Management 101

We recently wrapped up a custom millwork project for a large local engineering firm. *Sigh of relief*

For this project, I balanced back and forth between design director and project manager. I created and submitted shop drawings for all the interior millwork and custom built ins. In addition, I was on site almost every day coordinating deliveries, overseeing each installation, and communicating first hand with the superintendents, architects, and other professionals. This was my first full on project management role, so I'm very proud of the final product and feel very satisfied with the overall experience.

Brain Food: It's hard for me to narrow down one particular lesson learned from this project since there are so many important things I gained throughout the process. However, I feel I should focus on my trials and errors as project manager since that was such a unique experience for me.
I think it's important to remember that as you work in the field, you will be exposed to a variety of construction road blocks, challenging installation situations and multiple personalities, just to name a few; all while trying to work efficiently and execute your products to the original intentions.

So basically, stay positive (don't get discouraged, there are solutions to every problem), be prepared (for the worst), communicate with your team of your expectations (set the bar early), and make sure the clients are happy (at the end of the day, that's all that matters).

Here are some rough pictures I took throughout the project:

Reception Desk with new raised bamboo accent panels, granite top, and privacy panel
Hallway Credenza with horizontal bamboo veneer and granite top
Existing Conference Table with new bamboo veneer diameter top
Elevator Lobby- bamboo wall panels
Elevator Lobby- bamboo wall panels
 Custom Wall Unit
*Before*
Looking into the conference room from the reception
*After*
View from Reception- Bamboo Panels with Painted Reveals
Left Hidden Refridgerator Drawers, Storage Drawers and Doors, Pocket Doors Cabinet, Wall Sconces
Pocket Door Detail
Reveals Coffee Bar/Display Station
View from Conference Room
Back Side of Custom Wall Unit
Left Hidden Refridgerator Drawers, False Bamboo Panels with Painted Reveals

(We also built a new 5'-0" base, a 4'-0" cherry table leaf,
and 5 bamboo grommet inserts to extend their existing conference table)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!